Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The Dark Tower musings

Warning, a few spoilers



So as I sat on my lunch break Walter/Flagg/Man in black got his and I'll confess to squirming a bit over my bowl of soup. Ugh, suddenly the tomatoes don't look so good.

It was very cool to finally get inside Walter's mind and see what his motivations are. The only problem I had with his end was it seemed a little too easy. This guy has been the main baddie for most of the series (and The Stand, Eyes Of The Dragon and more) and he goes out that quick? I would've liked a little more battle.

But I also appreciate that King was just showing what a bad dude Mordred is. It works.

Other than that, this book is wicked. So far, the best one of the series since Wizard and Glass (which, I think is the best).

One more thing, the illustrations/design of this book is maybe the best I've ever seen for a fantasy novel. I just can't get enough. Definately worth the money to get the hardback.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Yeah! I love when the man in black gets it! Just desserts baby! Just desserts. Remember him as Flagg in the Eyes of the Dragon? What a creep. Mordred is disgusting. I never want to think about the birth of him again as long as I live. That had to be the most disturbing interaction between a mother and her infant. Ew. I shudder to think of your parents reading that part. I think I'll never speak of it around them. I'm so thrilled that you enjoyed Wizard and Glass as much as I did. Whatta story! I agree, I was a tad deflated when he went out without a fight. I guess that speaks volumes about Mordred, you'll learn more of his impressive will to be evil, later. If you liked the drawings in that one, you'll love the ones in Dark Tower: words of advise...please head this warning: As tepting as it is...do not look at the pictures ahead of the story. You must be patient and look at the pictures as they come. If you look ahead (like I did) you'll figure stuff out and that would be dumb.

What do you think about Stephen writting himself into the series?

3:13 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Oh wait...I'm mixing the stories. You ARE on The Dark Tower now, right? Just finished Song of Susanna...okay. Remember: Call me! I hope you didn't already look ahead to the pictures.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

I thought that Steven King writing himself into the story was fine. Some people really flipped their lid over that saying that he was an egomaniac or something but I diagree...

In his on writing book he said that he never plotted stories, that they more appeared as he wrote. In that case it would seem like he's taking dictation from Roland or God in some ways. Actually, I really liked it. It really threw me for a curve in the end of SOS when it said that he died in the car wreck. I wonder how that's going to play out.

And don't worry, I'm not peeking ahead at the pictures. That would definately be cheating. I'm religiously avoiding any spoilers as to the end. I've read this far and I'm not going to get the ending cheap.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I knew you could be trusted not to look ahead. My mom always looked ahead. She'd tell me about the pics and I'd put my hands over my ears and hum.

I liked Stephen's use of himself as well. It gets better too. I liked his explanation of why he writes. It reminds me of something...something from The Stand...can't put my finger on it, though. Hmmmm. Keep me updated as to where you are in the book.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home