Monday, March 07, 2005

Monday Musings



So about a week ago me and Suzanne watched Roman Holiday and really enjoyed it. It's charming and romantic, somewhere in the vein of It Happened One Night (which sets the standard for movie romance). And Audrey Hepburn was amazingly cute too.

Inspired to see more of her, we rented "the ultimate Audrey Hepburn", Breakfast at Tiffany's, which seemed to set the standard for meandering & aimless plot. What's up with this movie? And why is it such a classic? Sure it had some nice moments but none of it seemed to fit together.

Here's my list of objections/questions.

  • Who was that lady? I don't even know what to call her. You know, Paul/Fred's "decorator". Was she his mother? His lover? The movie never makes it clear. And why did she think they were being watched by Doc? Which brings us to...
  • Doc Golightly. Why did they bring this character into the mix? It seemed so random. We find out that Holly's real name is Lue Lamee. Okay... Then he leaves (in a strange farewell scene, which I vaguely felt was supposed to be sad) with us wondering why he ever came.
  • Fred's death, where Holly freaks out. Yeah, yeah this was okay. Except the last shot seemed like something by Stanley Kubrick: The door swings open on weeping Holly and we see a shadow of a man stretch into the room. Feathers ominously float in the air and then we fade to black. Hmmmm. What was that supposed to mean?


That's just a sampling of the weird moments contained in this film and I want to ask, am I wrong in this? Has anyone else seen this movie and found it weird? Am I alone in my belief?

Moving on...






Do not read The Stand if:

  1. You are coming down with a cold
  2. It's the cold season
  3. You can only read it late at night
  4. All of the above


I'm checking "4" and putting The Stand down until I'm over this cold and I have a better reading time then after 10:00 PM.



I think I may be a bad movie physic. Why? Because I knew The Notebook stank, without even seeing it! I had similar psychic pulses with Raise Your Voice and Uptown Girls. (But did Suzanne, Claire & Rosalyn heed my warnings? Ha!)

Therefore, I think I should be the final authority on what movies we watch on movie night. (True, my psychic alarms didn't go off when I rented Van Helsing, but still...)




Finally,

"In Christ alone my hope is found, he is my life, my strength, my song."

What a joyful thing, to find life in him - to become strong and to hear a new song; and such a song.

When I am God's and his blood and body are mine, I can posses nothing else. The world can give me no greater gift nor can I achieve any greater glory.

And that is a comforting thought.

5 Comments:

Blogger Udarnik said...

Spot on concerning Roman Holiday, It Happened One Night and Breakfast At Tiffany's... My favorite character in RH was Eddie Albert, the photog.

Stephen King? I don't read fiction and never read anything by him that I can remember, but always drove guests by his house on the way home from the airport in Bangor... cool bats on top of the wrought iron fence.

Listening to Beck... Sea Change... moody, melancholy, masterpiece.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Ah, the photo geek. He was great.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Levi,
Kudos to the awesome post. I'm so shallow this is my favorite kind. It has a nice assortment of everything. Good job! I would like to say that we know that the movies we watch are not gonna be academy award winners , they are just fun. I do think that I'd rather be stuck in a room with a werewolf on a full moon, than ever watch uptown girls again. That was awful!
-roz

10:06 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Ha! Ha! You guys watched Uptown Girls?! I knew it was awful when I smelled the cheese in the previews! Hee Hee! I love Roman Holiday! The best Audrey Hepburn film of course is, My Fair Lady. I've seen it at least a jillion times. Levi! The Stand! I can't wait until you're like a third of the way into it. You'll love it. It's my next favorite book next to the Tower Series. Wait...ummm...er, yeah! It is! Easter is coming! Easter is coming! I'm so bummed that you and your wifey won't be there! Rats. Oh well, Roz will be there, I can talk trash with her. *sticking my tongue out* Let me know when you've picked the Stand back up! Randall Flagg is in it! After you read it you'll have to rent the TV mini series with Gary Sinise.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it kosher to leave comments to fellow-commenters? Bo, you never read fiction! I always suspected this and now I see it's true. Please, I beg you, break this un-natural strength, or non-vice you have, and read The Chronicles of Narnia. If you're looking for doctrine, baby, it's all there.
As for your musings on Brkfst. at Tiffs. , Levi, right-on. I saw it as a kid, and didn't like it. I recently rented it, thinking I'd probably just missed something, since I didn't understand "adult-themes", and still didn't like it. I'll bet the party scene was considered wild and racy in the 60's, though. Wasn't it dated? And, at the risk of having all the A.H. fans on my lawn, holding torches, shouting "hue and cry", I think she's very over-rated, as an actress. She has a face and body that are so lovely and unusual, she's fun to look at, and her accent and voice are a dream. All this gives her a sort-of persona, that I think is mistaken for talent. I do like her movies, though, especially Sabrina and, you're right ,Sadie, My Fair Lady is wonderful. But, think about it, isn't it the male-actors in these that really make them great?
And, Levi, I am the really-great bad-movie-psychic, you are just my spawn. Yes, you have potential, and shall someday take my throne, but remember your place. I still suspect you are not entirely honest with yourself at times, for whatever reason, (ie; the new Star Wars) but you shall grow.
I really wish you would consider writing worship songs. I loved your thoughts on the body and blood of Christ belonging to us. It sounded almost like a poem, which would be lovely set to music. We really need more thoughtful and theological worship songs. Consider this.
~Mom

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home