Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Chimera, part 1

Another update:
Suzanne read this and called me wondering if I was okay (or if I was sucidal). Just one note, this isn't from my point-of-view. It's looking through a fictional character's eyes. Sorry, Hon. Aside from being tired, I'm perfectly fine.

(Updated with 2 more verses)

I don't know why I'm even trying this but I've lately been inspired to write a (sort-of) epic poem or a poem that tells a story. So here's the first 5 verses. They will be followed by more and, hopefully, in the end a story will be told. (Apologies for the breast-related metaphor.)

Chimera

1.
See now the scar in rock
The ragged tear in cliff, my path
Fingers fumble, they clutch, they grasp
Arm’s sinews tick like the work of a clock
Air sucked like a child and breast so locked
And watch the inches drag away and pass

2.
Stubbled clouds stack the sky in slate
Throwing snow petals to pattern the soil
Now caught by wind and turned in a cauldron boil
And there the mountain spear and sky mate
“Come and see the cold light generates.”
Says your voice or only the distant thunder roll

3.
Chimera, did your hand?
Your forge form the precipice?
Or knife cut the crevice?
Or mill grind the rocks to sand?
Did the fingers that drew mountain from land
pull tight the wires of my wrist?

4.
Soul, no longer muse, for I have sworn
To cast him from the cliffs and see his fire fade
He who dug the pit will also low be laid
Hero, the earth has made me so and I will not scorn
the path that paws of beasts have yet only worn
“Come and see the life death made.”

5.
Guinevere, her kisses calmed, feet no longer tread
Her voice, a bell of mercy, in these silent hills
Her fingers smoothing frost from a pane so chilled
Dashing like a deer on our path, she led
Sudden as a laugh, sharing in my bed
With her waters and whispers, dry riverbeds filled

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Levi,
I knew you were talented, but I had no idea you were a classical poet. You never cease to amaze! I alsolike your blog ..., I think eventually I would like to get hooked up. Maybe I can handle 15 min. a day to communicate with the outside world? Then again maybe not.

Your friend, admirer and uncle-J

3:57 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

*blushes* awww sucks...

Hey, let's hook up tonight and brainstorm on HomePlate.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Levi.

first off--- i really enoyed your poetry. it jsut reminded me that i still want to read your book as well.

on a completely different note: i saw the film version of stephen king's "pet semetary" last night, and it sucked really bad. i wasn't expecting any oscar material, but i still have to say that it bothers me that SK allows his work to be turned into such cinematic crap. except for misery, which was good film as well as a good book, all the movies based on his novels seem very low budget, badly acted, poorly written, and humorous when they are not supposed to be. the only part that really held my interest of the "pet semtary" film, was when stephen king made an appearance as a reverand.

anyway, i guess i am only sahring these random thoughts as one fan to another.

i like your little beard.

-walker

11:31 AM  
Blogger Udarnik said...

But, you have to admit those scenes shot in Penobscot ME were awesome!

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home