Tuesday, July 26, 2005

It's official, the Wachowskis have lost it

Remember The Matrix? Remember how cool it was, all that gravity-defying judo, wild plot twists and Biblical allusions. I really enjoyed that movie.

Then remember the sequels? How all of a sudden Morpheus was a dork. Neo was a dork. Trinity was a dorkess... and -- actually every character became a dork in those movies. Remember that chill-inspiring love scene between Trinity and Neo intercut with that bizarrely stupid post-apocalyptic rave in what apparently passes for church in Zion. Didn't it seem like they were making the plot up as they went along?

And how about the end, huh? Where Neo (after Trinity randomly bites the dust, negating Neo's saving her life in Reloaded) sacrifices himself to defeat Agent Smith. And the machines, after soundly kicking humanity's rear-end all over Zion, decide to not slaughter everyone and call a truce. Pardon me but I don't see how the good guys came out on top!

Imagine if Return of the Jedi ended with The Emperor killing Luke but deciding to whimsically let the portion of the rebels that he hadn't slaughtered live. Pretty lame, huh? But that's the direction that the Wachowskis Bros. decided to take The Matrix. The only phrase that comes to mind is, what we're they thinking?

But Levi, you might say, The Matrix is so last-year. Sure they sucked but that's all in the past. Why gripe about it now?

Ah, Dear Reader, I will answer your question. I'm annoyed because I just saw the trailer for the latest Wachowski-penned film: the strangely Dr. Suess-esque titled V for Vendetta . (And U is for Unicorn, children.)

Now once again I find myself questioning the judgment of the Wachowskis bros. Let me ask you do you think it's a good idea to make a movie where:

  1. The hero looks like the result of a sick breeding between Zorro and Bozzo The Clown? Do they honestly expect us to take this dork seriously?

  2. The plot centers around a black-clad hero fighting oppression by a totalitarian force. (Hmm, why does that sound so familiar? Wait! Wasn't that the plot of the last three films by the Wachowskis?)

  3. And lastly, why make a film where a TERRORIST is the hero? Okay I know you guys hate George Bush and all but you're committing career suicide. Considering current events -- hundreds of innocent men, woman and children dying at the hands of terrorists every month -- do you really think that Jane and Joe American are really going to show up for a film and root for a terrorist?

Come on guys, you're just embarrassing yourself now. You should've stopped with The Matrix and let everyone think that you were geniuses and didn't just get lucky and accidentally make a good film.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, perceptive son, that does look lame. Does anyone else think Natalie Portman looks exactly like Winona Ryder?

4:42 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Hmm...
I think I'll skip that one then. You probably saved me $7. Thanks Levi.

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate trailers like that. Batmans trailer kinda was like that. I still stand by my word and say the trailer totally sucked, but the movie was pretty good. Yeah The hero/villian( i dont get it) looks like hes trying REALLY hard to be scary, but its just not happening. Sorry.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Natalie Portman and Winona Ryder definately have been carved from the same block of attractiveness.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Actually, I think he looks more like the new Burger King mascot - you know the one with the creepy plastic mask that just screams serial killer? It creeps me out every time I see that thing.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Gunngirl said...

Well, I can't agree more about the Matrix. I didn't go to the show (I don't think a lot of people did) to see the last one, but I pre-orded on Amazon, couldn't wait to see it, then...WTF? Sorely dissapointed. Even worse, it ended with the Oracle sort of hinting that the Machines could never be stopped, like they'll regroup and come back.

So all that death for nothing?

Also, why all the hiding? Why don't the y come out and explain this friggin' series!?

Anyway, I liked "Bound" A wachowski brother movie. Haven't been to the show since Revenge of the Sith, would love to see new trailer for their movie.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home