Friday, July 08, 2005

A few pre-weekend observations

You probably haven't heard Peter Gabriel's strange album OVO: The Millennium Show Soundtrack. It don't even think that it's available in the US.

As far as Peter Gabriel goes, it's pretty uneven. For reasons unknown he employs other vocalists to sing most of the male parts in all the songs. Pardon the sports-related analogy, but isn't that like bringing in Brian Skinner to shoot free-throws when Peja Stojakovic is available?

Nonetheless, there's some stunningly beautiful music here. And true to Gabriel form it's thick -- full of layers.

Take for example the song, "Make Tomorrow". listen

I love the first verse of this song, which seems to be about renewing love in a marriage.


Put on the dress in which you were married
Pull down the veil til your eyes are hid
Can you remember where we both came from
Let us do as we did

So many days since I was with you
So many nights I've slept alone
So many barriers grown in between us
Let us be as we were once


*snif*



In other news...

I narrowly avoided dying yesterday, twice.

The first instance came in my company's restroom. Like all living humans must do, I was doing my duty in a stall and I happened to glance up at the latch.

"That's an odd angle for the latch to be at," I mused and thought nothing more of it.

It was only after I was done that I realized that the reason for the latch's odd angle was that I had forgot to lock the darn thing! If someone had opened the door on me I would've literally died like the witch in the wizard of OZ. I would've melted into the floor screaming, leaving a huge problem for HR to explain.

I'm very grateful to God that he saw fit to not include that sort of death in my destiny. And that he kept anyone from opening the door on me.

My second brush with death came on the ride home.

There was some road work going on and the traffic workers had us stopped to wait our turn to go. Pretty standard stuff so I didn't think anything about it and soon they flipped the "Stop" sign to "Slow" and motioned for us to go.

I was only as I neared the other end of the traffic control zone that something seemed amiss. The guy or girl at the other end usually regards the traffic exiting the construction zone with a cool disinterest but now this wasn't the case. This guy with an orange vest was almost dancing with excitement and making frantic motions pointing to the other lane.

"weird," I thought. "Do they want us to slow down?"

I would've left it at that but then I noticed the large pickup truck headed straight for me, in my lane. Then it clicked: The dorks had directed us into oncoming traffic. Crud.

I had to pull an action-movie-esque maneuver (at least it felt like it) into the other lane and the oncoming pickup had to slam on his breaks and pull onto the shoulder. All the while I'm sure the road worker had a look on his face like, "Aye caramba! Why did I set this up like this?"

Anyway, I'm happy to be alive and, Cal-Trans, next time please think a little bit before you almost kill your customers.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The angel that protects you must have great stories to tell to the others. I bet they all think you're a total geek. Know this, we would have told everyone if you'd died on the toilet.
I love the lyrics, too. Can't wait to hear it.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I've always wondered if Cal Trans have ever screwed things up like that. I know they communicate a lot on those walkie talkies. One time, this road worker guy made eyes at me and then as I slowly drove past the flagger at the other end, he made eyes too like he was waiting for me to drive by because flagger # 1 alerted him to my hotness. *ahem* I think the situation that happened to you was out of sheer exaustion on their part. Perhaps they had directed traffic all day and they were getting sloppy? Poor guys. Think of Eric Fassler next time, the guy has to direct traffic all day sometimes.

I think it's funny you get so scared of being walked in on in the potty. What's the worse thing that could happen? Death by awkwardness?

1:22 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

Levi: your life, compared to mine, is like an Indiana Jones epic. Through your many perilous adventures, please stop to think of those who merely sit at a desk all day and enter in data like a trained monkey, where the scariest thing that can happen is when the phone rings when you're locked deep in thought and you get startled and spill your diet coke all over your ergonomically correct keyboard.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

Wow what a day. You know I almost died just like that once. I was about to go to bed when I closed my closet door but I thought it was the door to my room and I fell asleep and when I woke up I was like "Hey thats weird."

Ok now that i think about it, that was nothing like your situation at all. Sorry to waste everyones time.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Udarnik said...

One time, this road worker guy made eyes at me and then as I slowly drove past the flagger at the other end, he made eyes too like he was waiting for me to drive by because flagger # 1 alerted him to my hotness. I hate it when that happens and it always seems to be going on down at the middle fork.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Ambular said...

Hahaha, that bathroom story is funny. Reminds me of this one time , I was at the gym, using the bathroom. It wasnt a stall, just an ordinary bathroom, with one of those push button type locks. And i guess the door wasnt shut completely, and as i was just finishing, and pulling up my pants, this old lady walks in, sees that I was in there, says, "Oops!" and then walks out. Haha I died that day, hahaha okay maybe I didnt, but I felt like it.

9:44 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

My fav Peter Gabriel work was the soundtrack from The Last Temptation of Christ. I didn't like the movie, but the music was wonderful.

As for Cal-Trans...they wasted several hours of my life last night. It wouldn't be so bad had it not been 100+ degrees and I didn't have air conditioning in my car.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home