Friday, July 01, 2005

Book Tag

I'm finally responding to your tag, Sadie. I hope you're feeling better by the way. I can personally testify as to what a bummer this flu is.

Total # of Books Owned
:
I'm not really sure on this one. I enjoy shopping for books as much as a teenage girl enjoys shopping for clothes, so I guess the answer is: A lot.



Last Book I Bought:
The Song of Susannah, Book 6 in The Dark Tower series. I wrote a post about it.


The Last Book I Read:
The last book I actually finished was Coraline by Neil Gaiman and I loved it. Thinking that there might actually be something to the hype surrounding "America's best new storyteller", I ran to the library and checked out Stardust. After about 5 chapters I ended up putting it down disappointed. I just couldn't get into it. I hate hype.

Five Books with Special Meaning to Me:


I've got to echo Sadie on this one and put The Bible at number one. And I'm not just giving Bible props because I'd be a lame Christian if I didn't -- The Bible truly has changed my life and continues to make it better. When my thoughts are confused and messed up (which happens more often then some might think) opening the Bible and reading is like stepping into a cool pool of water.


Number two would have to be The Chronicles of Narnia. CS Lewis wrote these books with such a effortless imagination and style. They still stir my spirit and awaken my sense of wonder. And The Last Battle brings me pretty close to tears. (Strong... men... also... cry...)


Coming in at number three: The Lord of the Rings. My rabid devouring of these books has dropped off some in recent years but when I younger I couldn't get enough of Elves, Valar, Silmarils, Numenor, Morgoth, Etc. And if you're thinking, "Hey, none of that was in the movies!" to you I say: "Darn, right!" We true fans know all about that stuff.


Book 4 is a tie of two author's bodies of theological works:

Francis Schaeffer's writings have greatly helped me to understand state of the world around me from a Christian perspective. His historical and biblical knowledge along with his insight on philosophical trends is astounding. He's not the most literary fellow and his books can be dense reading but they're a gold mine of wisdom. I highly recommend, How Should We Then Live? The Rise and Decline of Western Thought and Culture

On the other hand the writings of CS Lewis have greatly helped me to understand the world inside me and the world of Heaven. The joy of living as a Christian drips from Lewis' books, along with frank moments of despair (A Grief Observed). But the more you read of his writings you find that Lewis lived with his eyes fixed on Heaven and the glory to come. He's also -- unlike Shaeffer -- very literary and his works are lovely to read. I highly recommend: The Weight of Glory and The Great Divorce. (Oddly enough, Mere Christianity is not one of my favorites by Lewis. Nothing against it, I've just enjoyed other works of his more.)


Finally at five, I'd have to go with The Princess Bride. This may strike some people as a weird one but I think this is one of the best books I've ever read.

Time to hand out the tags:
David Floyd at Do you know the muffin man.
Ian at... One of his blogs
Paul Legge at The Fish Bowl

7 Comments:

Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I am not feeling better, actually. I'm taking time right now to post before I start feeling awful again (takes about 20 minutes). Great list.
I wholeheartedly agree with all your choices. You and I read in parallel lines. Let me know once you've started those books I gave you.

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Levi, you think the Simallarion is better than The Robe?!?
And are you ashamed to admit you loved Gone With the Wind? I think that should go in The Princess Bride's place.
Trippy cover picture of the Unicorn. Must be from the Last Battle cus of the blood dripping from it's horn. Ew.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

"you think the Simallarion is better than The Robe?!"

Absolutely. I'm not a huge fan of The Robe.

Gone With the Wind is a great book but I don't think it goes in my top 5.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

Hold on, I dont get it. Do I have to answer these questions now or what? Help me out here.
~Ian

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey everybody! I have ten extra minutes here at this internet cafe and I am going to get my money's worth!
My favorite book:
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
I want to model my family after the Ten Boom family. I love the way Father taught everyone to love with Christ's love just by his example. Also, there are some great analogy's in this book. For anyone who has read it, do you remember the analogy of the train ticket, given at just the right time. I will never forget that, what a great picture.
Gotta run, love you guys lots and lots!
XOXOXOX
Claire

3:08 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Hi Claire!
We love you!! It was good to see you here!
*Kisses & Prayers*
Sadie

9:47 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Hi, Claire!

Good to hear from you. We miss you here.

Ian: Yes, you have to answer the questions. Otherwise it brings you bad luck.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home