Sunday, October 02, 2005

Watch The Office. Just do it (maybe).


Ricky Gervias as David Brent

In my Movie Awards I put the BBC show The Office at the number one position for "Comedy". It's that funny.

For those who don't know, The Office is mockumentary TV show in the style of Spinal Tap, Best In Show, Etc. Only it's better than those. (Something I'd have to see for myself to believe.) It consisted of twelve episodes and a final Christmas Special.

The series is written and directed by two amateurs, Ricky Gervias and Stephan Merchant. If you watch the behind-the-scenes documentaries on the series you start to realize that these aren't your usual self-important dry screenwriter/director types. In fact it's hard to tell where the characters they portray end and the real people begin. Instead of droning on and on about the production as those documentaries usually do they go off on wild tangents talking about bizarre stuff and insulting eachother. Gervias is especially weird, with a laugh like Mozart in Amadeus. You can see where his character comes from.


Merchant & Gervias.

Moving on to the series, the set-up is basic: There's a lousy annoying boss David Brent (Gervias) who thinks he's hilarious. David's lone fan is the waifish Gareth who's also obsessed with being a soldier. The emotional heart of the series is the sad relationship between sales-rep Tim and receptionist Dawn. Just about the only two decent people in the office.


Tim & Dawn

As the series progresses you can see that Dawn and Tim aren't just flirtatious friends but there's a genuine affection and caring for eachother. As Tim says:
The people you work with, are people you were just thrown together with. You don't know them, it wasn't your choice. And yet you spend more time with them then you do your friends or your family, but probably all you've got in common, is the fact that you walk around on the same bit of carpet for eight hours a day. And so, obviously, when someone comes in, who you, you have a connection with-yeah. And Dawn was a ray of sunshine in my life.

Tim and Dawn find each other in the middle of the doldrums and almost torturous environment of the office. But there's just one problem: Dawn is engaged to a rough jerk named Lee, who also works at The Office (in the packaging plant). It's an odd place to find a "forbidden love" plot but I don't think I've ever seen a better one.

The amount of emotion this series achieves is amazing given the format. After all, it's a "documentary" so you can only see what a documentary would normally show you. And the actors can only do what a person would do if they knew they were being filmed. And that's what impresses me so much. The emotions between Dawn and Tim are never stated outright. Everything is revealed in glances, subtext and the looks on the actor’s faces. At one particularly personal moment between Tim and Dawn, Tim pulls Dawn away from the camera and takes his mic off, so there's only silence for over a minute leaving the conversation to your imagination. It works amazingly well. After watching the entire series, I have to say that The Office is also in the top ten of my most romantic films.

And it's also hilarious. In a painful sort of way though. Watching David and Co. repeatedly make fools of themselves is more and more like watching a train wreck as the series progresses. This is a sad story. David Brent who could've been painted as your average jerk-boss is shown over the series as a very venerable, innocent character who just wants to make people laugh and have friends, but he's destroying any chances for that by his amount of trying. In the end don't laugh at his mishaps because you just want him to stop and realize that he's destroying himself. The end of series two, when it all comes down for David, will break your heart.

So just watch it. Forget about the American NBC version. I've seen it and it's a pale imitation. Stuff like The Office only comes around once and it doesn't happen twice. There's not one misstep in the entire series, not one wrong note (except for maybe the first episode). It's an achievement. Just watch it. I can say no more.

After all this adoration I have to offer a word of warning: There's quite a bit of crude humor (if you see the character "Finchy", just turn down the volume). The crude humor is sort-of necessary to the plot in the way that it makes the office a bleaker environment but more than once it goes over the edge. There's one or two episodes that I didn't even watch because of the humor. In other words, this is not a series for kids or some adults. But after finishing the series I'm so blown-over that I can't withhold my recommendation.

And whatever you do, finish with The Christmas Special. Don't skip it. It's essential to the story.

To whet your appetite, click here for a clip of David Brent's now famous dance.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Levi, watching that last special with you was fun, because I knew you were loving every minute of it.
I like when the finale of a movie reveals every character in their own finale. For example: in Return of the King, everyone becomes, or is finally revealed as what they were meant to be, or were all along, and the audience fianlly sees it; Sam is shown the brave hero, Gollum the creepiest lost guy, Frodo goes over the edge, (and you see what the tortured expression is all about) All the Hobbits are faithful, Aragorn crowned the King he is, etc.
The last Office does this perfectly; To watch David Brent expose the sad, lonely, desperate insecure character he is, is heart-wrenching, and gets hard to laugh at, the unrequited love between Tim and Dawn, etc. Even the Boss is seen as a mean, cruel man, something we always suspected. It was pretty satisfying.
David, especially is so real, it's unbelievable that he never acted before this series. In fact, after I watch him, I find myself sounding like him in a conversation and it scares me that I might be pathetic. Then I realize that somehow, he was able to tap into every person when they sound boastful and annoyingly desperate to be loved and respected, which everyone does now and then. (Please say I'm not pathetic!)

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Levi, I heartilly agre that tim and daws romace is in th etop 10, maybe even 5 ! Its so real and un chick flickish, which is okay sometimes but the real romance is so awesome!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I must be so annoying to you, Levi, because Dan and I are such huge fans of the American version of the BBC show. However, the Office (BBC) Season 1 is out on DVD so I think we'll buy it for Christmas. We always buy ourselves like a dozen DVDs for Christmas. We choose our favorite movies and TV show for that year. I already know I'll love this show because we love the American one so much.
I bet that's really annoying to you. It would be annoying to me.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, i saw the american version as well. i love steve carrell (who play "the boss") but the knock off version just didn't do it for me. i guess once you have seen the BBC series, it's impossible not to say, "oh THAT'S supposed to be dawn?" or "it was different in the original..."

good review. except, you should have posted the lyrics to "free love freeway."

9:43 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Mom: I think that's why the series is so great, because you relate to the main characters so much, especially David. I know what you mean about slipping into David-mode. I've caught myself once or twice. And it is sad how your opinion of him totally changes over the course of the show. At first you just love to laugh at him but by the end you just want him to make it.

David: I don't think it's on TV. But you can rent the DVD anywhere.

Roz: Yeah, the reason I love the Tim and Dawn romance is because it's real. That's exactly how people act when they love each other but are too nervous to say anything. It makes me remember how that feels.

Sadie: No annoyance here. It's more pity. ;-) I just hope the American version hasn't tainted your love for the original. Definately buy the first season but remember my warning. Especially about "Finchy". That guy is the most completely repulsive character that I've every seen on screen.

Walker: How about a mp3? Everyone do yourself a favor and listen to that. Just do it.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Do you like how assertive I am lately?

9:56 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I'll take pity over annoyance any day.
I used to get the BBC channel and I never saw it airing The Office THIS season, but I remember seeing it around last season. I think. How many seasons are there?

10:21 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Sadie: There's just 2 seasons and a two-episode Christmas Special. And did you listen to the mp3?

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that song makes me laugh every time.

"she's deeeeeeeeead!"
"she's NOT dead!"

haha.

i feel like i am part of an inside joke.

"oh, you haven't seen the office? oh, well then. you just don't get it."

not that i say that alot, but i think it.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

The part that get's me most is the:

"What, you?"

"No he's looking at a photograph..."

"Sounds a little gay, that's all."

"It's NOT gay - Free love on the free love highway..."

11:40 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I don't have to listen to the MP3 because that's the episode Walker came over and watched with me. It was hilarious. The manager is so ANNOYING! I love when he talks and mimics the guy giving the demonstration--very funny.

4:01 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Better than Spinal Tap. When I saw that movie, I thought it was a movie made after me. Then I talked to other musicians and they thought it was made about them.

We had the spontanous human combustion drummer syndrome. No matter what we tried, we could never keep a drummer.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

I always considered Spinal Tap a catiounary tale for bands: Never take yourself too seriously.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home