Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Work: Chapter 2


Me in my ex-cube. I have no idea where this picture came from. I just found it in a desk drawer today.

Thanks for the patience folks. Sorry that I haven't been around for the past week.

Today was my last day at Sutter Health. It was odd packing up my desk and discovering long-forgotten stuff: An ancient CD from MacWorld, a horribly outdated book on JavaScript, a birthday card thanking me for my hard work at Sutter. Weird.

It was even stranger saying goodbye to people that I've spent the majority of the past five years of my life with. People that, no matter what -- if I'm grumpy, tired, excited -- I see every day. Some I've connected with, others I haven't. But it was strangely sad to shake hands and say goodbye. There's definitely some folks that I'll miss.

Driving home for the last time was odd too. I did my usual routine: Listened to Grant and Mike argue with callers about The Kings, stopped by my favorite mini-mart for a grape juice then proceeded to have my usual near-nervous breakdown while I battled traffic. Finally I turned the corner into my driveway and my little boy, Jack ran out to meet me. He had made me a "Congratulations" sign on leaving my job and couldn't wait to show it to me.

I'm glad that I'm closer to home now. I'll have about 3-4 extra hours each day and I'm excited to use them. I look at how God took care of me and my family through the rough times in the economy (actually he did more than just take care of us, he pampered us) and I know that he'll take care of us now. culturezoo is his and I want to run it like he'd want me to.

I'm opening a new chapter in my worklife and I want Jesus writing more of the plot. I prefer his endings to mine.

Now I need to check in with the rest of your blogs and see what's been going on.

15 Comments:

Blogger Udarnik said...

Fly little bird, fly!

By the way, I thought the cubicle thing was a creative invention, a literary device. I didn't know they actually make humans work in them, but your photo proves it. My cubicle is a bit larger and has windows.

I wish I could have been there to hear Jack say "congratulations."

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally, I get to see your office! I've always wondered what it looks like. You have it decorated so typically "Levi".
We're praying every day for you, honey.

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're so happy for you Levi! Congratualtions! Seeing you and your partner take on this venture has and will continue to be exciting, I know. We, too, are praying for you and yours daily.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Bo: Yes cubicles do actually exist. Many people think that they were abolished with slavery but the sad truth is people still are held captive in them today! And in large numbers too! And yes, Jack saying "Congratulations" was priceless.

Mom: Yes, doesn't my cube look like Martha Stewart decorated it.

Tia Me: Thanks for the kind words but I am worried about my partner. He's so unstable and emotional. I fear that our business is turning into sort-of personal therapy for him. I may have to do an intervention. ;-) Kidding, of course. I don't know what I'd do without my "partner". (Is this starting to sound gay?)

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though I have a desk job I am SOOOOO thankful that I do not sit in a cubicle. I would probably go insane and start carrying on conversations with myself while looking in a mirror for companionship or something.

I am totally happy for you and that your battle with road traffic on a daily basis has come to a hault. The amount of money you will save on gas alone makes this all worth it...and of course the extra time with the fam.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I............LOVE.....MY.....CAR!!!!!!!!

1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, Becca, picturing you talking to yourself somehow reminds me of Lily and made me laugh.
Are you going by "Rebeccag" now? Are you choking?

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roz- You are too funny! I was asking Suzanne about you last night and your NEW car. Woohoo!!!

Michelle - HA! I didn't even notice I added the "g". I am such a dork :).

9:29 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

"Rebeccag": Thanks for the kind words although I don't know you. What a strange name... :-)

Miss Honda Civic: I hope she gives you joy. I'm glad that my dear little Civic is in caring hands.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I'm so happy for you and your family, Levi. God has blessed you abundantly.
Secretly, are you going to miss Office Shananagans?

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caring hands like yours, Pig Pen? You should have been ticketed for driving a car that messy. I'll bet you got like 2 miles to a gallon toting all that stuff around all those years.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Levi,
Oh joy oh rapture! Your partner returns tonight from his much too long business trip! It always amazes me how much I miss your partner when he goes on these little ventures without me.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Thanks guys! It's nice to get so much encouragement.

3:39 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Levi - That's wonderful news. Those extra hours really add up. They add up in time lost that should be spent with wife and kids and also add up in clogged arteries from muscle atropy.

Hopefully, we'll be seeing more of Levi around in blogland too, no? Looking forward to mp3s of bands I've never heard of before. Always love hearing new music.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Zombie: Yeah, I've gained a few pounds from the commute. And you'll definately be seeing more of me around blogland (definately some mp3s). I've got some posts cooking...

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home