Thursday, February 03, 2005

Britain's House Of Commons VS The US Senate

So did anyone notice the hisses and jeers during the State Of The Union speech last night? I've never heard anything like that and, from what the commentators said, it's never happened before. It reminded me of Britain's House Of Commons (the British version of The Senate) and I slightly liked it.

Watching speeches in the House of Commons is like watching a Pentecostal church service. Tony Blair gets up and says something and everyone groans ("Uggghhh...") but Blair continues to make his point and you hear some people coming around ("Yeah... Yeah... Eee's right!") than by the end you got a good portion of The House whooping while the other shouts their disapproval.

I wonder if were headed in that direction in the senate? Part of me likes the dignity with which we approach speeches but still, The House Of Commons is a way more rockin' joint than our senate.

On another note, what a great speech last night. That was one of the most ambitious State Of The Union's that I've ever heard. It made the Iraq war seem very worth the cost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home