Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Good children's books anyone?


It's been about 2 months since I've actually read a novel and I'll tell you why.

Two months ago -- after weeks of loosing sleep staying up into the wee hours of the morning reading various books and writing my own -- I decided to go to bed early, around 7:00 PM, to catch up on sleep. 6 slumberless hours later we find Levi standing in front of the bathroom mirror, pulse pounding, seriously concerned that his tongue is going to fall out of his head.

I knew that the fear was ridiculous ("Man's tongue falls out of mouth for no apparent reason!" is a headline you don't see every day.) but I could feel my tongue pressing on my teeth and, try as I might, I couldn't convince myself that I was not in danger of that very thing happening. I should point out that I've never done drugs in my life and hadn't eaten anything weird before going to bed that night.

I wonder what The Lord thought of my prayers that night. I've gotta believe that, "Jesus, please keep my tongue in my head," isn't too common. It's not on the Rosary, anyway. But God is good and -- as it would seem -- very understanding. With his help I finally got my whacked brain into a calm enough state to sleep.

The next morning I chalked the whole thing up to stress and trying to do too much: reading novels, writing a novel, starting a business, building my house and working full-time. So I put a temporary halt to my novel-reading and writing -- I'll be darned if it didn't help.

Since then things have slowed down in my life. The house is nearing completion and the business is just about launched. I've been thinking lately that I need a good book. Something that won't freak me out or keep me up at night (No more Stephan King. Sorry, Sadie).

I'm really in the mood for a good children's fantasy book. Something along the lines of The Chronicles of Narnia or The Neverending Story. I know books that good don't grow on trees but I also know that there's a lot of great stories out there (Sadie, recommended Coraline by Neil Gaimen recently and I loved it) that I'm missing out on.

So how about it? Any good, undiscovered children's fantasies that people feel like recommending?

Wait -- I've got to run! I think my tongue might be falling out of my head.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I'm going to bring you two books that I read when I was in junior high and started buying books on my own. They are the two books that sparked my love affair with slightly creepy mysteries. They'll be really fast reads for you (I read them again recently and while they were still good, I went through them really quickly).
Their titles are:
The Curse of the Blue Figurine
&
The House with the Clock in it's Walls
I like the writing and the main character, a boy, is very lovable.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

That sounds great. I'm a sucker for pulp mysteries. I read The Hardy Boy and The Three Investigators addictivly when I was a kid. Those series got a little threadbare (especially The Hardy Boys) the older I got.

I'd like to find something in that genre that is actually well-written.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Levi-Now, did me and Suzanne ever get you to read "Anne of Green Gables?" Seriously Levi, one of my top five books of all time. I actually think you would really like it, please give it a try!
-Claire

4:38 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Gee Claire,
I don't know...Anne of Green Gables? It's such a story for girls. I'm sure that a guy could read it and enjoy it, but I don't know--something about the way the book is written from a girl's perspective, I just can't see a guy relating well to it. Just my opinion though, guys every where might love it! Who knows? The series was very cool. I highly recommend watching the mini series.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to go out on a limb and randomely guess that you, Levi, would not like "Anne of Greene Gables." Even though, I will admit that I have read it myself. This is me, however, and that is you....HOWEVER, with the small possibility that you did like Anne of Greene Gables, there are also other girly books that you might enjoy. "Little Women"--another one I'll admit I have read--"A Walk to Remember," and of ANY of Jane Austin (i.e. Emma, Pride & Prejudice)....Getting away from the girly romance books, I remember that I did enjoy "The Wind and the Willows" and I also liked "The Giver" K, I'm done...PEACE!

5:28 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Okay, sorry not to answer your question but to reply with another one.
This has been bothering me for quite some time. When I was a kid, I read Hardy Boys and another group of boy detectives. There were four of them and their leader was a guy named Jupiter.
Anyone know the name of the series? If so, they're good kid's books.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Zombieslayer: That's the The Three Investigators by Robert Arthur. I mentioned those previously. As I remember they were great.

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might try any of E. Nesbit's books: "The Magic City", "The Railway Children", The Enchanted Castle", "The Book of Dragons", "Wet Magic"

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home