Monday, May 09, 2005

News from the nerd front lines!



So on Saturday I did what all self-respecting nerds do when the need poses itself -- I lined up (or "queued" as the British say) for advance starwars tickets outside of the Del Oro. I only showed up 15 minutes before tickets went on sale so I was near the back. I thought I'd share a few observations.


  1. One thing that stuck me as strange was the air of superiority that those in the back of the line held to those in the front of the line. The conversations were as such:

    "Did you hear that the guys in the front got here at five AM?"

    "Dude, no way!"

    "Way."

    "Dude, I'm sorry, but that's just too much. I mean, common."

    "I know!"

    At this point I felt like reminding my fellow back-of-the-liners that, no matter what time we got here we were still in line for a movie that doesn't come out for two weeks!. I think that when we got up on a cold Saturday morning to stand in line for Starwars tickets we forfeited our right to insult those that got here earlier than us. We're all this together, folks -- just embrace the situation.

  2. Waiting for Starwars tickets is like standing in a police lineup for nerds. Del Oro's central downtown location and the way that lines must form down the narrow sidewalk -- you end up shoulder-to-shoulder, pressed up against the brick wall, while all of Grass Valley slowly drives by.

    Those that didn't give us "you freaks" looks, shouted questions at us: "What movie are you line for?"

    "Starwars," we mumbled.

    "Ha! Ha!" they'd laugh as if that was what they suspected. Then they just had to ask, "Is that out yet?"

    "No. Not for two weeks. We're just in line for tickets."

    Then it was their turn at the stop sign and the next would pull up to inspect us.

    After the millionth of that very question I felt like answering, "Herbie! We're all in line for Herbie: Fully Loaded!" But in the end I couldn't generate the indignation or the spunk.

  3. At one point some guy came around the corner and yelled, "The movie's been canceled!" Was it the Antichrist making an appearance in Grass Valley? Maybe not but I see a dark future for that man.

  4. I felt the most sorry for the two guys in the very front of the line (the infamous 5:00 AM-ers). I passed them on my way to the back: two friends in their late twenties, sitting in lawn chairs. Not what you'd suspect to find at the front of that sort of line: Ruddy, healthy-cheeked, construction-worker, youth-pastorish fellows. Directly behind them was the usual suspects, a hoard of pale, magic-playing, pierced, gothic, costumed teens. But they had beat that group!

    The expression on the two front-liners faces was the really sad part. They wore a look of resignation and perhaps sadness. Perhaps the same expression that is present at an addiction recovery meeting? "Drive on, walk past," it seemed to say. "We can't help who we are and what we love. Just leave us in our shame..."

    The Starwars line is not a pretty place. Only the strong of heart should try and endure it.


Next up, the line for the actual movie!

7 Comments:

Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Ahhhh, Levi. The transparency and humbleness of this post is so endearing. It must have been a difficult experience for you. However, just think of the future conversations you'll be having with disgruntled people waiting in that long line on opening night. You'll be able to just walk right by and everyone will be wondering why you're so special. Maybe even the same people that drove past you and made comments! I'll be looking forward to review of the movie. Just be sure you don't give anything away...
...I think Dan, Eric and I are going to see it together. Nikki offered to watch the kids since she admitted she hasn't even seen the first Star Wars. *giggle*
I'm jealous of your advance tickets.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Are you, Dan and Eric going to the midnight showing?

9:46 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

If we can. I wonder how early we would have to go to make sure it didn't sell out? On the other hand, we might have to wait until a few weekends go by and see a 7o'clock showing. I don't see how Nikki would feel about babysitting at midnight unless my kids stayed the night at her house. Maybe Roz can spend the night at MY house! Errr...no, she's probably gonna go to the midnight showing, huh? Hmmm.

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know a kid who was there at 6 am with his entire 8th grade class. freaks.

it's true, people will show up in line for advanced tickets, or go to a midnight showing, but when someone mocks them it's like, "well, lookat THAT guy! at least i'm not THAT much of a loser!" it's like marching for gay rights, but making it very clear to everyone watching the protest that you are straight.

what a master of metephors i am.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Well said, Walker -- you master of metaphors, you! ;)

12:18 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Sadie: Roz is going to the midnight showing.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Benny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? Why? Why are you telling me this? The jelousy will drive me mad!

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home