Thursday, July 28, 2005

My next story...

So I finished reading Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince and I left excited but expectant for the climax of the series. It reminded me why I love fantasy and, even more, why I've got to finish the book that I've written and write the other story bouncing around in my head.

As I previously mentioned, six months ago I had to face facts and accept that I simply could not write a book, build my house, start a business, work a full-time job and be a husband and father all at the same time without going insane. So I shelved my writing with the promise that I would pick it up when my life became a little more calm.

But that doesn't mean I've stopped thinking about my stories. On the contrary, I can't stop thinking about them. Whatever I go through, positive or negative, it seems to spawn a story. Even things as mundane as my job or arguments with friends have become huge plots in my mind. I'm not tell you this to make myself sound creative or anything, it's just the way I am; I understand things and express myself best through stories.

The few people who have read my first book (Jack & Hattie) will tell you that it's just a re-telling of me falling in love with Suzanne and the struggles we face as husband and wife, albeit set in an absurd fantasy world. This was entirely unintentional, but after they pointed it out I entirely agree. Suzanne is all over that book.

I haven't even looked at Jack & Hattie in months but I really want to finish it. I finally understand the story and I need to end it.

But I'm really excited about my next story. It the one that's really stuck in my brain and it seemed to crawl out of my experiences from working in an office environment. It hasn't taken any sort of coherent form but it involves superheros, vampires, werewolves, demons, angels, the apocalypse, and office environments. If you haven't already guessed, it's a story in the spirit of geekhood.

Our house is almost finished and my work situation may soon be changing (you didn't hear that). And just I can't wait to start writing again.

I hope that I don't sound pretentious. I know that I'm not a great writer or anything but I think I'm getting better. Whenever I get discouraged at how lousy I am, I always think back to eleven years ago when I started playing guitar; I stank, I couldn't tell if the thing was in tune or not, I had a hard time pressing down the strings and I didn't even understand one bit of music theory. But it was simply a joy to hold a guitar in my hands. I couldn't get enough of strumming the strings and playing E minor over and over again. I even loved the smell of the wood. Now I'm playing stuff that I only dreamed of playing eleven years ago. But I had to be a lousy guitarist before I could be a good one.

Again, I'm not bragging but I think that's where I'm at with writing. It's just a joy to sit down and write a story, lousy or not. And I think I'm getting better.

How about you all? Did any of you have a desire to do something that at first seemed impossible or just too hard, but you couldn't stop because you enjoyed it so much? Was it playing an instrument? Or playing a sport? I'd be interested to hear.

And thanks for enduring my navel-gazing. I just couldn't bear to write another post about movie trailers.

12 Comments:

Blogger Udarnik said...

I'm coming at this from an entirely different angle, Levi, and I'm hoping you never experience it. I'm realizing that I will always stink and now I'm on the decline. My goal was to be published by 40 and I had some good prospects... I was cited in an academic book on the Babi religion and that's probably going to be it... my one claim to fame, aside from my name being taken in vain (and defended by old friends) occasionally on Baha'i discussion groups :-) Whoopee.

I used to be driven, but not anymore. The physical beating has taken it's toll. I must admit, I'm pretty passionate about The Apocalypse now, but by the time I get home from work, I'm exhausted and can't really get into expressing much.

Now, this may sound depressing, but it's not really. I have lots of energy in the morning at work, so my mind is racing and thinking and conceptualizing, as you describe, but now it's just for me... it's gone for good by the time I get home and my "in basket" is chock full of projects and parts of essays, some going back 12 years. I'll never get to them. So, it's like my little secret world with Jesus and I kinda like it... it's different than my relationship with God has been in the past. Like I told someone at my 30th class reunion, "I'm a failure, but I'm probably the happiest failure I know."

But, thanks for the post... it's a great time of life and I remember it well... enjoy it and make the best of it. I know it feels like you don't have enough time to do everything you want to do, but the wierd thing is that it actually disciplines you and makes you more productive. If I were to give you advice, it would be this: Do what you know God is putting on your plate -- not what others think you should be doing. They may be God's voice at times, but you will know best what you are cut out to do -- I can't describe it, but I know it when it's happening. Second, learn foundational principals of time management now, while you're young and energetic. It's all about the effective use of time and how to structure your day, week, month and year. Oh, and play the guitar more...

7:31 PM  
Blogger Udarnik said...

Hey, Levi, I wrote that last night, while I was real tired... didn't mean to be such a downer. Truth is, Ive been blessed numerous times in my life by what you describe and I have always felt *surprised* to learn that I could do something pretty well. I see it as grace... I've never really thought of anything I've done well as an accomplishment, per se. I may have described it that way, because of the limitations of language. But, it always surprises me when I stop and realize, "hey, I guess I'm okay at this."

3:44 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

This might sound trite but I have felt that way at almost every job I have ever started; especially once I started enjoying the world of sales.
When I worked at Dovetail Design, I wanted to know everything and I hated all the time it took to know it. I just wanted to snap my fingers and have every bit of knowledge about all the furniture already stored in my head.
I hated the feeling of being "green" and having to ask my co-workers questions.
This hatered for being "uneducated" in an area where I want to succeed, leads to this disorder I create for myself where I dive into my work more so than the normal person.
Eventually, I became the know-it-all of the store. It has it's downfalls. My co-workers (who were average people working their 10-5 job) would just assume that I could handle everything.
To make a long story short: My measure of success is always slightly skewed or bent. It has always been All or Nothing with me. If I don't get something or I'm not feeling like a I could succeed to the fullest extent of my desires, I'll give it up.
Sad?

8:01 AM  
Blogger Simon said...

I, for one, am glad to meet a fellow navel-gazer. I think it's great that even though you haven't written much in the past few months you still think like a writer. I find myself in a vicious cycle: when I don't write, I stop thinking like a writer. When I stop thinking like a writer, I don't write. I used to write, and I even enjoyed it. Now when I sit down to write it's like stretching myself out on a rack. Keep up the writing, Levi. Take it from an old geezer like me.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Bo: After reading your comment, I jumped out of a window to kill myself but only succeeded in breaking both my legs. Thanks a lot! ;)

Sadie: I get where you're coming from. Good to have you back BTW.

Simon: I got into the same situation with songwriting and playing in a band. I used to be sooo into it. Now I get antsy at the very thought of sitting down in a recording studio or rehersing with a band, or writing a song. I still love playing but the urge to compose it gone.

Natalie: Wasn't The Half-Blood-Price good? But sad too. I agree with your points about writing. It is a way to see the world through the writer's eyes. Juding from what I've seen, you're a good writer yourself. I'd definately let you read one of my stories sometime. (As soon as I get it to the point where I'll be brave enough to show someone...)

9:56 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Thanks. It's good to BE back. I also wanted to compliment you on your skills, Levi. I tell people all the time that you are the most talented musician I know.
You're a natural. Your voice is getting really solid. You sounded great, vocally, yesterday at church.
Also, reading your book was so fun for me. Not only was the story captivating and the style of your writing unique--but it was such a cool experience to KNOW the writer. Thanks for letting me read it. I'm totally looking forward to more stories from you. I want something tangible I can put on my bookshelf for bragging rights:
"This book was written by my cousin Levi."
How soon can I expect publication?
;)

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Levi, maybe this break has been good for your creative juices to take a break and get re-pumped. Jacqui and I are always amazed at how much you do! I still haven't been able to read your book. Maybe someday!

I have to admit that I have never read a Harry Potter book, but I have plenty of friends who LOVE them. I just have never gotten into them. I have seen most of the movies though.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing I keep plugging away at is Spanish. I know I drive all of you nuts, but I don't care. By the time I lay on my death bed, I'll be able to bless each of you in the beautiful luenga.
Also, you know Bro-Bo is right; I figured out a few years ago I'll never be on the cover of a magazine. I will never be famous, but I can be great. I can be great at the work God's given me; a great mother, sister, friend, aunt, wife, grandmother, etc.
A hint from Anne Lamott: carry index cards, and write down your ideas; when you meet an interesting character, hear a funny conversation or word that would be good in your book, jot it down and file it.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Ambular said...

That is so kool you write. I used to want to be a writer, but realized all my stories were lame.

But some things that seemed so complicated when i first started, but wanted to continue, cuz i just liked it, would have to be typing, knitting, and swing dancing.
Each were so difficult, but i kept on trying, cuz i thought it would be kool to kno whow to do it.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Gunngirl said...

First, I love all the comments. I'm your fellow writer, and I know there is little, very little chance I'll be published and have my dream of seeing my book in a bookstore come true, I keep writing. Why? because I love it. I don't think I could stop, even if no one else read one word.

I get so whirlwinded by what publishers want, what they're looking for that I don't know which way is up. I feel that getting in the door is just a luck of the draw. I could only dream that I'd pull people in the way J.K. Rowling did. I'm not married, and no kids, so I must praise you for keeping your head on while doing everything you need to do.

But, don't put it so far on the backburner, it's important too. It's important FOR you and TO you, and family, job, etc. shouldn't take away everything. I believe people find time for what they truly want to do. But, that's just me.

2:27 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Levi - I've written 1 1/2 books, my wife the other half of that 2nd. As much as writing it is a challenge, finding a publisher who's willing to give you more than $2000 for it is a bigger challenge.

Not wanting to discourage you, don't get me wrong. Keep at it. We've decided now to get an agent.

Writing is awesome, and this world needs more fantasy. I hope your book turns out good and I hope you're able to sell it too. Your blog writing is good, so I assume your fiction is good too.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

gunngirl & zombieslayer:

I hear you. Publishers & agents seem very mysterious -- almost mythical. But that's how everything seems before you get in. I remember before I got a job in Graphic Design that graphic designers and design firms seemed like these untouchable priests in temples. But after a bit of persistance I got a job and I realized that it was just like anything else. All it takes is a little talent and a lot of practice. I'm sure we'll make it sooner or later. :-)

By the way, if ethier of you ever feel the need for some extra input, I'd be happy to critique your manuscrips if you'd crit mine. (I'm wheelin' and dealin' here.)

And thanks for the compliment, Zombie. You're a good blog writer too.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home