Thursday, August 11, 2005

The city by the bay

So as I said, me and Suzanne made a little trip to San Fran' over the past few days and we had a great time.

Instead of staying in the city we stayed in Alameda and took the ferry in to the Embarcadero. That was the way to go. One of the things I hate about the city is driving through it and most of all - trying to find a place to park. So we just rode the public transportation, which was an adventure all by itself.

A few fun things to share:

  1. We should've just worn signs around our necks that read: WE ARE TOURISTS. We walked around, staring at everything, consulting our map, freezing in our summer clothes.

  2. While we were trying to figure out a subway route to Golden Gate Park a large man who moments before had been yelling "F---ing A--hole" at the top of his lungs walked up to us wondering if we needed help finding our route. Not wanting to say no, we nodded. In a friendly manner he showed us the best route and then asked for a tip. Not wanting to good vibe to disappear we, of course, tipped him. The second we stepped away three police officers drug him away. Me and Suzanne looked at each other: "Did we cause that?" Sorry pal. Thanks for the directions, though.

  3. Riding the busses was just fun but the subway was a little creepy.

  4. We ate in a packed Chinese restaurant where we were the only white people and the only people speaking English. It was bizarre. It gave me a little taste of how a black person must feel in white, white Grass Valley. The food was great.

  5. Aside from the food, I hate Chinatown. It's crowded, noisy, ugly and every store is selling the exact same junk.

  6. Union Square is awesome.

  7. For dinner we sat next to a family on vacation from France. I, of course, red them the riot act on the superiority of America and spit in their food. Actually they were very nice and we got to talk with them a little. It was strangely cute to hear little children speaking French.

  8. Speaking of cute foreign accents, toddlers with English accents are adorable. Even if they are throwing a temper tantrum.

  9. Alameda is a very cute little town.

  10. Standing on the prow of a ferry watching the enormous city of San Francisco recede into the night makes me feel very romantic. It's just too bad that my constantly-freezing wife wouldn't brave the wind and I had to make out with a handrail.



Overall, it was a great weekend. And as always when I visit San Francisco, I'm sooooo glad that I don't live there. I'll take trees and mountains over skyscrapers, thank you.

And by the way, thanks, Mom and Dad, for watching the kids. You're the best!

12 Comments:

Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Dan and I love getting away to "the city". For our anniversary last year, Dan and I stayed with my sister and Nick. They live in the heart of the Castro district. We rode the subway--Dan liked it and said he felt like he was in a movie, I hated it and was creeped out by the lighting, the smells, the people...it was just otherwordly.

I love Union Square too. Did you get to shop?

I love riding the ferry. I laughed when you said you were freezing in your summer clothes. I honestly think that the reason my sister loves the city so much is because it's mildly chilly all the time--even in summer. I'm a fall person too and love fall clothes but still--it would bug me to see the fog roll in every, single day. Although, I would not mourn the loss of wearing shorts. I hate shorts.

I'm so glad you two had fun. Did you go to the pier? Did you take lots of pictures?
What else did you do?
Aren't grandparents awesome? Mary and George are keeping the kids overnight tonight so that we can celebrate our anniversary. I hope I am as hospitable with my time when I have grandkids--let's never forget what our parents did for our marriages and sanity, Levi.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Simon said...

Leve (I can call you Leve, can't I?)
You're right about Frisco, man--it's cool to visit, but to live there? I would go absolutely crazy and throw myself off of the highest building I could find. When I go to the city, I feel so rushed. Everyone is going somewhere in a great big hurry. I love just standing there and watching everyone fly by. The problem is, since everyone else is hurrying, I feel like I should be hurrying to. My heart rate is elevated the entire time I'm there. But maybe that's just me. I'm glad you guys had an awesome time. You deserved a vacation...

2:16 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Sadie: As far as shopping goes, I had a great time. I decided that I was going to set a limit for myself and buy as many books as I could fit in that limit. I got some great stuff.

Simon: I'd prefer if you'd refer to me as "Mr. Nunnink". :) I do think that the city affects people and makes them slightly crazy. Pardon my hippie-like observation but I think that you're too disconnected from nature in cities. You look around and everything you see is man made and the ego just feeds. There's nothing like a backpacking trip to make you feel appropriately small and yet relevent.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:05 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Nice review, Levi. That French joke was pretty funny too.

Don't feel bad. I should have known better when Mrs. Zombieslayer and I went there last and I didn't bring a jacket. That was dumb. I ended up buying one because I was freezing the whole time.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

we have had a rash of blog spam lately Levi. Delete them as soon as possible. Don't ever click on their links.
Idiots.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip Levi, Kristen and I are going to SF this weekend and now I know what to wear :). I am glad you had a good crime, I mean time. (haha, cheezy joke I know - but man, you helped put the man in jail).

Hasta

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you sanitized that rail before you made out with it.
Good city review, Levi.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Natalie: one my favorite San Francisco experiences was walking across the Golden Gate bridge with Joe Glenn and another uncle of mine that is an engineer. He explained how the whole bridge was designed and how it all worked. Fastinating stuff.

I highly reccomend taking that walk if you get the chance. I also reccomend bringing along an engineer if you can. :)

9:04 AM  
Blogger Udarnik said...

Levi, you have good taste in large metropolitan vacation spots. May I suggest Boston? My personal favorite happens to be Chicago. I'll probably still go there, even though Sam has left.

I enjoy going to SF for Macworld. After the show, we walk up through Chinatown to North Beach, have a wonderful meal at Tomaso's, then cigars and cognac or espresso out on the sidewalk. One time we were serendaded by a fellow strolling along in a tuxedo, who offered to sing a "love song, show tune or a spiritual." We chose a "negro spiritual." Wonderful.

Last time, a bunch of us got a room at the Pickwicke Hotel, which was fun... kinda like a sleepover. But, Dan snores.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, you guys are making me homesick ... NOT!

Makes you wonder, ironically, that hell might actually be a very beautiful place ... a bit hot ... but surely no bridges!

Levi. You're right. Chinatown is the pits.

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home