Thursday, January 06, 2005

Derek Webb: Substance and spirituality

I've been hooked on Derek Webb's album, She must and shall go free.

So often Christian music seemingly falls into 2 categories. There's the, vauge and depressing, artistic stuff where God is never directly refrenced and the bands adimately deny that they are a Christian band despite their Christian record label. (I'm not knocking this stance, in the majority of cases the notion of a "christian band" is strange and extremely extra-Biblical. I understand why many artists struggle with this issue but their eagerness to keep their faith private is also troubling.)

Then there's the Jesus-is-my-boyfriend/CCM pop that ranges from booring to alarming (Um, why am I getting turned on?) and disturbing. This strange hybrid of MTV and sunday morning worship has somehow garnered the endorsement of Christian culture.

Both of these genres have their strengths and failures and some more than others. But there's a third category and that's where I really see a roadmap for the Church's music. And Derek Webb is a perfect example.

Every song on She must and shall go free is dripping with the bold doctrine of the cross. I found myself shocked, edified and convicted as the tracks ticked by.

Take, for example, the lyrics to The Church:

i have come with one purpose
to capture for myself a bride
by my life she is lovely
by my daeth she’s justified

i have always been her husband
though many lovers she has known
so with water i will wash her
and by my word alone

‘cause i haven’t come for only you
but for my people to pursue
you cannot care for me with no regard for her
if you love me you will love the church


For some reason I can't picture Plus One telling their audience that Jesus hasn't come for just them as individuals but for the entire body of Christ. But this is a truth that needs to be known. (Webb also seems to enjoy using the word "whore", which makes the album a little edgey for Sunday morning. But hey, has anyone read the old Testement lately?)

The music on this CD is excellent as well, evoking Bob Dylan or maybe Johnny Cash. Not that Webb actually sounds like those gentlemen in his vocals but the feel is similar.

Hopefully him and other artists can set an example for the rest of the Church's music. Musicians like, Fernando Ortega, Sarah Groves and Jars Of Clay seem to be on the right path.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home