Thursday, March 17, 2005

Not-so-guilty pleasure

I find it odd how some people (myself definitely included) love to flaunt their love of obscure musical tastes.

For example, in conversation I'll mention that the new Tom Waits album is "Amazing" and "Earthy". I smile to myself as eyebrows are raised.

"Who is Tom Waits?" my fellow conversationalists ask. "I've never heard of him."

Of course you haven't, I think to myself. Only musical elites, like me, have the ear to listen to such refined and obscure artists

Or maybe I'll try this tactic: "You know," I begin, "I've really been into Nazareth lately."

Nazareth? The 80's glam band? But yes. I'm so confident and refined in my tastes that I can enjoy glam rock. I don't need to follow the latest trends.

"Oh," say my dumbfounded (but impressed) fellows. "I've been into Nickleback lately."

I can't help but guffaw. Nickleback? The money-chasing, overly-serious, talentless band that drowns the airways in their musical sewage?

Truly, I am elite in my tastes.




Okay enough of that. The sad part about the piece above is that it's partly true. I don't know why I'm like that. It seems so stupid when I step back and look at it.

So in defiance of that part of me, today I would like to announce that I really like the new Kelly Clarkson album. I might be tempted to admit this as a "guilty pleasure" but why should any pleasure in music be guilty?



Go out and listen to it! It's pretty good.

Now I need to stop feeling superior over the movies I like.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sadie Lou said...

You and I are so alike sometimes, it's creepy. I really hate it when an obscure band I "discovered" gains mainstream poularity. I should be happy because they are getting money and support, but I'm not. Sometimes, I stop liking them. I have to admit, when I told you that you would like the Dark Tower Series, I almost immediately wanted to take back my words. A secret, dark part of me wants to be the only soul in the world that intensly loves that story and it's characters. I don't even give my mom credit for reading it first; it's mine now. I'm a snob. I'm thrilled to learn that you are too, although I already kinda knew that. Snobbery loves company.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are rather smug and superior at times. You must have inherited it from me, because your dad is humble. Actually, I got it from my father, the devil. (Makes me sound like Marilyn Manson or something, but it's true. Thankfully, I've been adopted out.)
You know what's ironic? I love to drop Lewis' name. "Well, you know what CS Lewis says about it," I'll say, looking sage-like, and just slightly English...and here, he was so humble, and wrote about the very attitude of pride that we're talking about! Augh! How annoying we are. God must just wince most of the day.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Udarnik said...

"Who is Tom Waits?" Did somebody really ask you that? Anyways, we bought the Kelly Clarkson CD for Camille for Christmas. She has really good taste, except for her aversion to Mike Roe.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Thanks undertad: I will take a listen to those.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home