Monday, March 28, 2005

Stupid, stupid saying



Okay, most everyone has already heard this but last night Roz pointed out something that made me crack up.

This saying: "If you shoot for the moon and miss, you will land among the stars." It makes no sense. Why? Because if you miss the moon you will either:

  1. Be sucked back into Earth's atmosphere.

  2. or

  3. Drift in the space between Earth and Mars until you run out of oxygen.

Roz suggested amending the saying to: "If you shoot for the stars and miss at least you will land around the moon." And this struck me as good wisdom but I have a few more alternate versions.

If you shoot for the moon and miss, you better have a good heat-shield because re-entering the Earth's atmosphere is extremely hot.

Or

If you shoot for the moon and miss, you're a really bad aim. How the heck could you miss something as big as the moon?

Do you think these might catch on?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are soooo many chliches (yes, that word is spelled correctly, I just can't seem to get the little apostrophe to float right) that irritate me, mostly religious sounding ones:
"That's your truth." Usually meaning, that even if I make up a religion or philosophy, it's fine, because it's mine.
"Let go and let God." I just don't think we "let God" do anything. He does what he wants.
Then, the secular ones are annoying, too. This next one isn't a chliche, but just phrases people use, like a pan-handler, "spare change?" I want to ask, "Do you mean change I won't eventually use? Like I throw it away like shoeboxes when I collect too much?" ~Mom

10:22 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I have never been a big fan of sayings and cliches. They very rarely make the point you're making any clearer and they seldom make sense. I rather like making up my own analogies, quite like Roz. I guess we're a family of overanalyzers. (sp?)
~S

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooo embarrassed, I did spell cliche wrong, as subtly pointed out by my young niece/cousin, Sadie. I had even looked it up in the dictionary before posting, but I guess I forgot by the time I typed. M

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooo embarrassed, I did spell cliche wrong, as subtly pointed out by my young niece/cousin, Sadie. I had even looked it up in the dictionary before posting, but I guess I forgot by the time I typed. M

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Marcia. Tell Benny thanks for promoting Levi. I appreciate any help I can get on my constant and lonely vigil. Michele PS Did I spell embarassed wrong, too? Dang, I guess I need to use spell-check. Bo is probably cringing sadly when he reads my posts.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

What I want to know is, does Benny have a blog? And if he doesn't, why not? I'd love to read a daily dose of Ben thoughts.

Marcia, maybe you could use your influence there...

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home