Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Levi's Most-overrated Movie Awards

All right... I'm a little nervous posting this after the hubbub my last post caused. Let me just say that I'm sorry If my choices hurt you -- but the truth can hurt.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know and I'll add them.

So without further adieu, here's the awards.
  1. The English Patient

    How do you take an actor as cool as Ralph Fiennes and a setting as exciting as WWII, beautiful women and make it all utterly tedious, unappealing and boring? Answer: The English Patient. Watching this movie is like getting a massage by Edward Scissorhands.

    How did this film win Best Picture? Looking at the other nomeniees gives me a clue: "Fargo", "Jerry Maguire", "Secrets and Lies", "Shine". Jeeze. Not best year for Hollywood, was it? Still, one second of Fargo is better then the million-hour length of The English Patient.

    Director/Writer Anthony Minghella seems to have either bought off movie critics, or generated sympathy on account of his weird last name. You'll notice that he's the guy responsible for the universally-loved Cold Mountain. - Wait. That movie stank too.

    Joe put it perfectly:

    "This movie convinced me that the romance of two impertinent and aristocratic people isn't interesting, even if one of them is burned beyond recognition and the other dies in a plane crash."

    Well said Mr. Glenn.


  2. Dances With Wolves

    Stupid, stupid, stupid. I saw this film in my movie-starved adolescence, when I thought Cool Runnings was awesome just because it was on a TV screen. Even then, I knew Dances With Wolves was lame.

    I think everyone was embarrassed that they gave this movie such accolades. Judging by what's happened to Kevin Costner's career after this film, they're taking their vengeance with the fury of a scorned woman. I forget, was Waterworld or The Postman nominated for anything?

    You know what would've made this movie great? If Kevin Costner changed the name to, Dances Naked with Angry Wolverines and based the plot around that. Now there's a movie that would be interesting.


  3. Citizen Kane

    Here's where things get tricky. I think Citizen Kane is a good movie - very good. Orson Welles acts his rear off, the plot is interesting and it's nothing but lovely to look at. The reason I rate this so high is because whenever Hollywood-types refer to Citizen Kane they usually do so like this:

    "Oh Citizen Kane, the most glorious, wonderful, awe-inspiring, totally-awesome, brilliant, important, daring, cool movie of all time! I would cut out my own eyeballs, and sell my children as slaves to create a work of art that even approaches Citizen Kane."

    I'm here to announce that, sure it's a good movie -- but not the best. I watched it once and I'm perfectly content to leave it at that. People need to calm down about it.



  4. Casablanca

    Another good movie that is not as good as everyone claims. I don't even think it's the best Bogart movie that I've seen. Is Casablanca better than, It Happened One Night, Roman Holiday, The Philadelphia Story or Some Like It Hot? I don't think so.


  5. The Deer Hunter

    Another tedious, boring and horribly-long Best Picture. There's one or two good scenes in this marathon of a movie. What is it about Vietnam that breeds dumb films that critics love?



  6. Fahrenheit 9/11

    overrated in so many ways.

    First in its impact on the election. When this film came out everyone was rubbing their hands saying things like, "Can George Bush overcome this film?" and "This may be the final blow for The President." As it turns out he did just fine.

    Secondly, how did a piece of corny leftist propaganda get an 84% percent positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes? Call me crazy, but this makes me think that some critics might lean left.



  7. The Thin Red Line

    Embarrassingly enough, this movie came out the same year as Saving Private Ryan. Isn't that like releasing a new pocket calculator the same year that Apple releases the Macintosh?

    Maybe it was the random and pointless shots of wildlife, or the 10-second cameos by huge stars or Woody Harrelson blowing his butt off with a grenade (photo of the incident above) - this movie just didn't do it for me.

    For some reason, this film reminds me of what would happen if all us bloggers got together, went to a tropical island and decided to film a war movie. Everyone would feel sorry for us and out of sympathy call our film "A visually enchanting, philosophically murky meditation on war" and nominate it for Best Picture. But the end result would still suck and so does The Thin Red Line.



  8. Remember the Titans


    "God help me, I hate you, little girl."

    The following is an excerpt from the screenplay of Remember The Titans.

    Football Player (cheering in joy as they win a football game): "Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaah!"
    Crowd (cheering in joy as their team wins a football game): "Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaah!"
    Black Football Player (using Mowtown music to bridge the gap between the races): "Aint no mountain high enough..."
    Football Player (abruptly getting hit by a car): "Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaarg!"

    For some reason, everyone but me and my family loves this movie. I remember renting it on the recommendation of countless of our friends. We put it in the VCR and about halfway through we began to verbally abuse the movie.

    This is not an "Inspirational and moving." film as Duane Dudek from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel would have you believe. Rather, it is silly and Motown-ridden.



And finally, a special category:
Movies, under-rated in their badness


I'm only going to add one movie to this category. In your comments please suggest movies and I'll add them until this is a vibrant, organic list!

  1. The Buttercream Gang
    Scott, Pete, bubble-butts, Widow Jenkins... this is a classic of the genre. I'll never forget Pete's terrifying bread loaf rampage.

    Memorable Quote: "Hate you? Pete, why do you want me to hate you?"










That's all for now. Let me know what you think and give me your sugesstions.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet list, levi. the only film on your list i would venture to disagree with would be The Deer Hunter. actually, i think you may be right about it being overrated, but i still really liked it. the only thing about it the i thought sucked really bad was the 45 minute wedding scene. the begining was really slow and all, but once it moved on to the war, and post-war trauma, i found myself highly impressed.

actually i haven't seen most of the movies on your list though. however i will say that basically ANYTHING with kevin costner is overrated. seriously, has anybody else noticed that he CAN'T ACT?

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. i plan on posting my list after giving it some thought.
p.s.s. i think the most memorable Butter Cream moment was when Pete disses his gang by calling them "lousy excuses for a couple of gang members" as they try to break glass bottles on the railroad tracks.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Great list Levi. I would agree to all of them. I don't have one problem with your choices. Consider yourself lucky. (just kidding) I might think of some to add...but I'm not in the right frame of mind. I just went grocery shopping with Nikki and I feel like I need a nap. Goodnight.
Sadie

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Levi,
Hmm very good list.
I watched casablanca in a cinema history class. I was expecting the whole time for the movie to take a sudden turn and become the best movie in hollywood history...... But it never happened. " The only reason I was glad I saw that movie is so now I can meaningfully say at random times " heres looking at you kid. " It makes me feel sophisticated to say for some reason.


Remember the Titans. Worst, most manipulative, most embarrassing, most cheesy, most stupid movie I have ever seen. I think I counted about hmmm 58 scenes where the football team sings mowtown together. *gag* I dont know many groups of guys that like to put their arms around each other and sing with dumb looks on their faces while they are half naked. Argg . I am still persecuted for my excellent movie tastes because of this movie.


Another over rated movie is " A crazy and scitzo mind" Oh I'm sorry thats what it should have been named. I meant " A beautiful mind" Ok since when has a mentally ill persons mind labeled beautiful. I can not even name all the reasons I hate this movie it makes me too mad. But to top it all of it won BEST PICTURE! I hate the stupid academy.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have to agree with most of the movies, except one, remember the titans is a great movie who wrote above, mind you who doesn't understand that a football team is a family. Duh.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All right, who is " Anonymous" I must know who you are. The only person i could think of to say this would be tyler, but I'm pretty sure he doesnt read blogger. I thought for a second Tio Joe but he wouldnt stay anonymous, plus I think he disliked this movie. please tell me !

6:52 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Anonymous, show yourself. Don't hide behind an alias.

We will go easy on you... *mwhaa ha ha ha!*

9:00 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Hahhaha Uncle Joe, I mentioned Shawshank in my first post to Levi on that other post. I thought of an overrated movie, Fight Club. Man, people talked about that movie all the live long day and when Dan and I finally saw it, we were like...neat. I wasn't impressed at all and I thought it was disgusting, personally.
A Clockwork Orange is overrated, it's interesting but it's not all that, as most cult-classics tend to be.
I can't stand Gladiator, either. It was so trying to be this powerful epic and it fell straight on it's face. I couldn't get into the characters at all.
That's all for now.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Levi, pretty good list. Sadie you and I are one on the Gladiator. The sets were cool, but the characters forgettable, except for Joaquin Pheonix, who was interesting in his evil-ness.
OK... I know it bugs you guys for me to mention again, but the top of my over-rated list is...
Star Wars and Godfather (you never know, we may have new readers!)
The following two movies, like you, Levi, I didn't hate, I just thought, "Why are these considered classics?"
A Streetcar Named Desire (Yes, Marlon Brando is a great actor and cute in his t-shirt, but the movie just felt seedy and dark. I don't mind seedy and dark, but I want some meaning to it. Watching a weird ,dysfuncitonal family is no fun unless it's my own.)
Rebel Without a Cause (I know, the teen culture was shocking and cutting edge at that time, but the whole thing just doesn't hold up. I think it would be forgotten if all the actors hadn't died prematurely)
All of the Monty Python movies. I love English humor, but I just don't get these. I think, this genre, (mindless, wry parody) is done much better in the Naked Gun movies. Now, that's an ovelooked actor! Just looking at Leslie Nielson cracks me up. However, Levi, I do think it's hilarious when you and your family act out scenes from the Monty Python. I don't know why that works for me.
Crouching, Jumping Dragon and Lion or what ever it is. I was so pumped to see that, and walked out, (of the TV room) after 5 minutes
Legends of the Fall (I hated every single character in the movie. How many times did Brad Pitt dramatically ride into the ranch, with the majestic backdrop, glowering at the silly mob of family and ranch hands that adored him while Marlborough music played? And so many people love that movie.)
Amelie
Ray (I'm a huge Ray fan, and enjoyed the movie, but it felt like it was made for TV, and at the end, I still felt like I didn't know the man. Jamie Foxx didn't really act, but seemed to be doing an impersonation.)
High Noon (Boring noon)
I know you don't agree with the next one, and I feel blashphomous mentioning it, but:
The Passion ( I honestly get more spiritually from Return of the King, and I'm not trying to be funny.)
Joe, I agree with you about the Matrix. The first one was incredible. Also, was the Great Escape overlooked in best movies? That's a good'n. I'll think of more over-rated as the days go by. All of you out there who respect and are in awe of my opinion, (all of you) don't be disappointed by the surprisingly short list. I'll come through with more. Mom

11:19 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Joe, Joe...tsk tsk.
Top Gun is on my top ten list for 80s movies. I bet I've seen it at least a dozen times.

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Levi, I just realized you have a huge fo-pah (I know it's misspelled, but YOU try finding it in the dict.) on your over-rated list. The ButterCream Gang! Delightfully horrible, but over-rated? I mean, do you actually hear critics discussing it or see it on the Top 100 Movies list? I think you even had to belong to a Special Dorky Family Movie Club to buy it, very obscure. No, it belongs on your "Love to Hate" movies list.
~Mom

11:53 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Mother, Mother -- if you'd only paid attention the category that the ButterCream Gang falls in: Movies, under-rated in their badness.

IE: Movies that are so bad, they achieve a certain level of goodness.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how embariskin. ~Mom

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home