Thursday, April 28, 2005

Thursday thoughts...







In addition to the new Weezer, I've also recently developed a liking for 80s glam divas. There's something about Invincible by Pat Benatar, Alone by Heart and Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler -- to name a few -- that just capture my ear.

I actually think it's their passion. All the girls in the 80s were sooooo dramatic. They were like Jewel turned up 10 notches. Every song sounded like they had just walked in on their husband cheating, picked up a mic, and recorded how they felt about it -- in other words, lots of angst. The girls today (Brittany, Christina, Etc.) don't come close.






Don't you hate it in romance movies when everyone's sitting around and they ask the romantic hero, "Romantic Hero, what do you think love is?" And he proceeds to give his definition of love ("Love is like a star, it shines the brightest when the night is darkest" or "Love is like a flower, it only blooms after the winter" or "Love is like a blog, it only grows when the owner regularly posts...") whilst the girl of his desire looks on, impressed by his wisdom and insight.

Judging by movies, this is subject #1 at the dinner table but has this really ever happened to anyone? Not me. When I started hanging out at the Gulas house, seeking Suzanne's hand, Neil and Colleen didn't muse with me over the roast beef, "Tell us, Levi, what do you think love is?" If they did I would've been weirded out and thrown out some lame definition: "Love is like a blog...". (Thanks, Neil and Colleen for never putting me on the spot.)

Anyway, the other night Suzanne and I were looking for a pleasent movie to feel romantic over and the task fell to me to choose.

Enter, Music From Another Room. I should've taken a clue from the lone blurb on the cover: "A very sentimental film..." -- not really high praise, is it? It could be taken both ways.

So in the movie the inevitable occurs: "Romantic Hero, what do you say love is?"

I was prepared for the usual stock answer but this Romantic Hero (or the screenwriter) really pulled a doozy out of his pocket. Cue the romantic music and I quote:

"Love is like when you're singing along with music from another room, and a train passes by and you can't hear the music anymore... but you keep singing and it when the train passes you're still perfectly in synch with the music... that's what I think love is like."

Cut to the shot of the Romantic Interest looking like she's having a vision of heaven, while her heart slowly melts for this love-wise Romantic Hero -- we have our scene.

But as Suzanne pointed out, in all her level-headed wisdom: That definition of love makes no sense! "Love is like a mushy apple, it's soft and very sweet..." would've been a better definition than that!

Stupid movie.

14 Comments:

Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

"love is that exact momoent when everyting feels, just, just right..."

Classic, Zach. I'm sure screenwriters all over the place are going steal that one, if they haven't already.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

First, right on to your comment on glam-divas from the 80s. I love Pat Benatar. "Love is a Battlefield"--another love analogy, agggghhhhh! Heart Rocks! I love that song "Barracuda". Wait, classic! " Your're a heart breaker, love taker, dream maker dontcha mess around with me!"--Benatar again.
Sweet.
As far as your reflection of the "sappy romantic" movie--a really good one is SO hard to find! Thta's why I liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, so much. Bare with me Zach, listen to this line!

Joel:I could die right now, Clem. I'm just... happy. I've never felt that before. I'm just exactly where I want to be.

I have felt that way!


or this gem~

Joel:Sand is overrated. It's just tiny, little rocks.
okay, that's not so romantic, but I liked it.

Joel:I don't see anything I don't like about you.
Clementine: But you will! But you will, and I'll get bored with you and feel trapped, because that's what happens with me.
Joel: Okay.

Anyways, good romance is hard to find in movies.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Right on, Sadie. Eternal Sunshine was a great romantic movie with great, real dialogue.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

80's music is the best. It's the kinds music you can get really worked up over and sing to at the top of your lungs. I can not think of one song written in the 90's that had the emotion of " I need a hero" or " Total eclipse of the heart " where are the cymbals crashing and women belting it out? You cant get any better than 80's music.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

I think Romantic Hero was a bit off on his definition...

Romantic Interest at this point in the movie should be questioning whether Romantic Hero is such a great catch if he lives that close to the tracks. I mean seriously... if the guy can't afford a decent home now, what's gonna happen when they start having kids?

If Romantic Hero really cared he would be moving out of the crummy house next to the railroad tracks so that the trains wouldn't be interupting everything...

Cheers

11:06 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Shawn has a point...

12:58 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I like Shawn.
Shawn and I had a pretty deep conversation about Top Ramen and Top Ramen's generic twin---Maruchan.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

I have a rule about cooking for myself... if it takes more than 12 minutes to cook, I don't eat it...

Actually, 8-10 is better, but I stretch to 12 because it includes some of my favorite frozen pizzas.

Knowing this... you have to know that I love the 3 minutes it takes for those little gems in plastic wrap that are affectionately known as Ramen noodles...

And Sadie... you mustn't be such a Ramen snob... Maruchan is fine food too...

10:37 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

...only with petite peas Shawn. Peas make ALL the difference.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, can i be annoying and point out that ewan mcgregor is scotish, not british? oops, i just did.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're such a punk Walker (even though you ARE annoying it is good to hear from you :). Okay, okay...I would rather see SCOTISH actor Ewan McGregor than English actor Jude Law - I always get accents mixed up. My point is that I would rather see almost anybody other than Jude Law (and that I like Ewan McGregor).

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey levi... i didn't take this picture, but this was the show the other night, and this is the view i had.

go to:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/Shanenk/7400fa72.jpg

this is what coveting your neighbor's oxen is all about, baby.

=w=alker

11:13 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Oh my goodness Walker...that picture is sweet. How did you even enjoy the music?! Those are the kind of concerts that I imagine I'd be one of those dumb (see my blog) people that pass out from excitement overload. Sheesh. Cool pic.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Rebecca, I think we've found some common ground movie-wise: Ewan McGregor is awesome.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home